Marguerite Clark was a winsome heroine of the screen in the silent film days of Mary Pickford and Lillian Gish.
A native of Cincinnati, she was educated in Brown County Convent and made her first stage appearance with the Aborn Opera Company in Baltimore. She was among the “darling” stage players who forsook Broadway for the cinema in the prewar days when films still were a bold experiment.
Thirteen years after her Baltimore theatrical debut, Clark attained fame in Manhattan by playing simultaneously in “Anatol” with John Barrymore and in “Snow White.”
In 1914 Hollywood beckoned, and Clark accepted an offer from Adolf Zukor’s Famous Players (later Paramount). In the autumn of that year she appeared in the “Wild Flower,” “The Crucible” and the 1915 film “The Goose Girl.”
Loaned to the Lasky Co., she next embarked on “Gretna Green” (1915), “The Seven Sisters” (1915), “The Prince and the Pauper” (1915) and “Mice and Men” (1916).
After finishing her last film in 1921, “Scrambled Wives,” Clark retired to private life in New Orleans as the wife of Harry Palmerson Williams, partner in the famed Wedell-Williams aviation interests who crashed to his death in 1936. Clark died of pneumonia in 1940.